October 16, 2008

Salvete!

I’m very sorry for my dearth of entries in the past week or so; I was at home for Columbus Day weekend. It was so incredibly nice to be back in Philly (ESPECIALLY WITH THE PHILS’ WIN!). My mom cooked all my favorite meals for me, and even baked dozens upon dozens of cookies for me to take back! I saw my friends and really got to relax for the first time in a month. I feel as if I’m constantly on the go when I’m here on the Hill (my mom rightfully calls me the energizer bunny) — I’m always on my way to class, running to Hogan, to some meeting or another, a lecture, work, or the library — so this little respite was nice to ground me and to keep me focused.  I definitely need to take more time for myself here- whether it’s a well-deserved nap, a walk around campus (you know how much I love that), or just time to chat with my friends.

I’m glad to report that, however nice it was to be home, I did miss Holy Cross while I was away. In a few short weeks of living here, it has become my second home — somewhere I feel comfortable, safe, and ridiculously well-placed. As I thought back over my first month and a half at Cross, I realized with pleasure that I am indeed accomplishing the goals I have set for myself. I have jumped full force into my academic pursuits, have enthusiastically embraced an array of activities, and have made some really awesome friends. For all of you potential Holy Cross students (and for anyone in life, really), it is so important to make the most of your time at a particular institution. Whether you want to be there or not, you will both shape and be shaped by that place at which you find yourself.

That turned out a bit more reflective than I initially intended, but I’ll go with it! Now for the fun part. I mentioned in a previous blog that I had a craving for a real Philly cheese steak — not the green-pepper laden knock-offs that one sees everywhere else in the country. A true Philly cheese steak is utterly repulsive yet completely delicious, and is smothered in cheese whiz (if you want to do it right). So on Saturday night, perhaps at my prompting in the blog, my parents took us into Philly to get steaks! Now the really fun part: while I was eating at Genos — the cleaner and, in my opinion, arguably more delicious of the feuding cheese steak joints — I met a Holy Cross sophomore who was in line! His glaring purple “God’s on our side” shirt gave him away. We had a nice little Holy Cross moment, and found out we live in adjacent dorms. I was quite pleased to be part of a mini Cross takeover of cheese steaks that night!

Until next time! Xairete  (Greek for farewell)!