November 19, 2008

Salvete!

So much to report this absolutely freezing Monday afternoon! The wind chill has the temperature down around 20 degrees, so I barely made it back from Stein (clear-cut across campus) without becoming an icicle.

Lots of fun events occurred this weekend. Friday was an absolute blast. After an interesting day of classes with Professor Joseph, my friends and I had an amazing little Thanksgiving dinner in Mulledy’s kitchen. Simone’s mother dropped off a full Boston Market meal, complete with three types of meat, sides of all sorts, and even utensils! We ate far too much (to the point where Amy and I required a short nap after dinner…), and had a ridiculously fun time eating and sharing the things we’re thankful for in our lives. I said prayer in Latin at everyone’s request (my friends have embraced my Classics nerdery), and gave thanks for all of the wonderful people in my life and those new friends I have been so lucky to meet.
That night we all went to the season opener for the men’s basketball team, which I’ve been looking forward to all year. My friends and I always go to football and hockey games (obnoxiously decked out in purple and face black), but this basketball game was even more special because we all got to wear our new black Sader Nation t-shirts. The Crusaders won what was an exciting game and provided a fantastic start to the season. They went on to win against St. Joe’s on Sunday, the closest college to my house in Drexel Hill – so I was quite pleased to hear about their success, even though I had to work during the game at Kimball!

I spent most of Sunday plugging away at homework, writing a Philosophy paper, and translating two odes for Latin class yesterday. As I mentioned before, on Monday the Classics scholar Michael Putnam came to our Horace class at Professor Hamilton’s request and gave us a beautiful lecture on one of Horace’s most famous odes. It was such a unique opportunity, because Professor Putnam has a ridiculous mastery of my favorite work in Latin (so far…), The Aeneid. He could quote it so easily, which made me want to read the Latin text again. As soon as I have time, I’m going to get on that!

Monday night we had another Self cluster event. It was probably the most unique of the events so far: the rapper Baba Brinkman came to perform his Rap Canterbury Tales. He did some original work, too, but having read Chaucer’s The Canterbury Tales in high school, I was most fascinated by his modern interpretations of three of the more well-known tales. His taking on of different personas through literature and the recalling of the ancient art of reciting poetry aloud related very well with my Montserrat class. It was quite interesting, and I even wrote an article for the Crusader about Brinkman and his visit to Cross.
It’s too late for me to process any more homework…off to bed!

Xairete!