January 14, 2009

Salvete, omnes!

I’m so happy to be back at Holy Cross! I hope you all had a wonderful holiday season — I know it went by so very quickly for me. I saw a ton of people, hung out with my family, went out to eat far too many times, and even did a Winter Ambassador meeting at my high school for the Admissions dept. (during which I found out there is a potential Classics major in this year’s senior class!). I got back to campus on Sunday night, which was quite the experience. The campus was dead and not a single one of my friends was here! I just took the time to completely re-organize my room, clean, and relax before all of my girls returned on Tuesday. We watched movies the entire day, helped each other unpack (well, I helped other people unpack…), and soaked up each others’ company for the first time in a long, long month!
Today was the first day of classes, and what a busy day it was for me. I had my two usuals, Greek at 11 and Montserrat at 12:30, both with the ever-entertaining Professor Joseph. Then came the really exciting part — my first Astronomy class! How I ever managed to find my way to the classroom in the labyrinth-like science complex, I don’t think I’ll ever quite know. After about 10 minutes of wandering and only 10 minutes until class, I informed a random professor in the hall that I was a Classics major , had no clue how to get to O’Neil (never having had to step foot in this place before), and he pointed me in the right direction without another word. I took astronomy in senior year for a semester, but I can already see that this is going to be a new experience. Professor Garvey is extremely knowledgeable and very funny, and also recognizes that most of us are taking his class because we need to fill a science requirement. Such understanding is right up my alley!

Tomorrow is my first day of work, and my friend Colleen, a sophomore Kimball captain (and blogger!), will be on my shift again, so it shouldn’t be too painful. I also have a class I’m greatly looking forward to — Classical Archaeology with Dr. Bender, the visiting professor whose trip to Italy I went on before my senior year. It will be really neat to study some of the places in Rome where he took us in the classroom setting. The sad part about tomorrow is that the weather is supposed to be absolutely, positively, viciously cold. It was quite a shock when my parents and I pulled onto campus to find piles of snow and a bitter wind that was markedly absent in Philadelphia. Ah, well, the joys of living on a mountain in New England! I’ll be sporting a record number of clothing layers tomorrow, I think.

I’m so happy to be back at Cross, and look forward to entailing the next couple of months of my first year here for you! Valete!