September 28, 2008

Salvete!

I’m currently having a bit of writer’s block (I’m trying to finish an Intro to Philosophy paper on the figure of Socrates), so I thought I would give you all an update on the happenings in my life.

This weekend was a bit of a bummer, mostly because of the weather. For some reason, it tends to be lovely and sunny during the school week, and then all of a sudden rain clouds overtake the sky on Friday and we spend the next three days venturing out only when necessary. We’ve suffered this pattern every weekend except one since I’ve been here! This Friday was especially rainy. As I was splashing my way through puddles in my new rain boots Friday morning on my way to Greek, I saw a particularly drenched tour group, all wielding umbrellas but still getting pummeled by the soaking downpour. I’ve heard so many stories from my friends here and back home about how seeing a college on a day of bad weather really affects their opinion of the institution. I hope that tour group still enjoyed Holy Cross — although it’s really a campus at its best in blazing sunshine.

On Thursday I went to dinner with my cousins who live in Worcester. Ironically, I came up to Worcester when my cousin Kevin married his wife, Amanda — a native of the city — two years ago, unaware of the fact that Holy Cross was ten minutes away from our hotel. Fate brought me back exactly one year later in the summer before senior year to visit the Cross. It’s so nice to have family here, since I live too far to go home and see my parents and sisters on the weekend, like some of my friends can.

I have my first two papers in college due Tuesday (Philosophy) and Wednesday (Montserrat). I wrote my Montserrat paper, on a passage in the Iliad, on Friday afternoon — the first time I’ve really been productive on a Friday! Philosophy is presenting a bit more of a challenge, though. It takes a lot of thought. However, I wrote a 3-page outline, so I have most of my ideas hashed out already. Wish me luck with them!